I'll Never Write a Novel

The Memoir of a Personal Essayist OR Confessions of a Theatre Widow

Tuesday, April 06, 2010

It's My Party

I am sick of hosting my pity party these days. The Dad Guy and I were joking that at this party there is a pile of lemons. Perhaps a guest could suggest making some lemonade. I would likely just tell them that they are just there for sucking on. Bad attitude.

At Mass on Easter Sunday the pastor suggested something that I had been thinking about recently; that although Lent ends on Easter, the Easter season is just beginning. I didn't really do a great job of Lent this year. I was incredibly distracted, out of sorts (literally and figuratively) and hosting the aforementioned party more than I would like. I felt like I was already making enough sacrifices, so I didn't do anything "special" for Lent. It's more like I did Lent by accident. It wasn't thoughtful or purposeful and perhaps it was exactly what it should have been this year for me. But the 40 days between Easter and Ascension are a time of renewal of thoughtful engagement, and not focusing on suffering. It is a time in which Jesus fully lived and God shared the Holy Spirit with us. With the suffering going on around me, I think it's the perfect time for me to acknowledge joy and especially see the ways Jesus is risen and present in my every day. Instead of "giving something up" it can be a time to say "yes" to the world and to the risen Christ in everyone, and embrace life. It is time to be filled, on-fire with The Spirit. So, I intend to spend the next several weeks really living. So, less pity party and more party party. Today Gwen, Thomas and I went out for ice cream cones (Thomas will get his share later). It was time to enjoy the sun and have an ice cream social. And it was fun.

Jesus was among the living and it's the least I can do to attempt to do the same.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the party party idea. Ice cream for everyone everyday! Maybe even lemon sorbet?

6:50 PM  
Blogger Noreen said...

Yes, Rona. Let's have Party Party. Let's put in on the books for when I am home next. Shall we have chocolate something chunk chocolate ice cream for you?

4:03 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home